Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Personal Problem... Opinions and Advice Would Be Very Appreciated?

I have a construction job which I have attained for the last three years. I am also a student working on a BA degree. I have just transferred to the University with all of my GE finished. It is my parents dream for me to attain a BA degree but it is now a snag with my boss. He has always known that I am a student and thinks that it is a waiste of time because I don't know what I am going to do with it when I am finished with college. He has taught me many skills within his profession and it is hurtful for me to think of using them for someone else on the job site (in finding another job) my school comes first but I care very much about my lasting impression with my current boss as he has been a construction mentor and friend. please respond with what you think I should do and let me know I will be much abliged thank youPersonal Problem... Opinions and Advice Would Be Very Appreciated?
I'm usually a wise-cracking as....... but your letter is sincere. been there too, it hurt, i felt like i let him down. remember we all have to travel our own path. he left someone as well ,if he'll remember, can't blame a man for bettering himself, if he isn't compassionate and understanding enough to realize that, he is being selfish and under minding your desire and using guilt to hold on. just like a child we have to let go ,it doesn't mean forever. if you are friends in the true sense of the word he will celebrate your happiness at graduating and your ';coming of age';as it were . separation from people we care for or feel loyalty towards doesn't mean we have an obligation, but appreciation of what they have done, truly he knows of your plans already .he's just angry,and probably hurt some as he may look upon you as a son. he'll get over it. be humble and remember an angry reply gets an angry response.Personal Problem... Opinions and Advice Would Be Very Appreciated?
If your boss is a mentor and a friend, then he should realize that this is what you want, even if he doesn't understand it. He sounds like my grandpa who comes from ';if it ain't broke don't fix it';. Basically, you have a good job that you seem to like and seem to be good at, so why do you need anything else right? Your parents want you to get your degree, and your boss thinks it is useless. But what do you want? If you really like the construction business, and you can see yourself doing it for the rest of your life, then stick with it. You could still get a degree though. I think a business management degree would be beneficial if you ever decide you want to start your own construction business. If you wanting to better your future and see what the world can offer you (to use a horrible cliche, I apologize for that) and your boss writes you off because of that, maybe he's not quite the friend and mentor you think he is.
i too agree with 'servo40250' you r the only one who can deside what u really want try looking at it this way put urself first please u and to hell with everyone else. do what ever makes u happy learn to explore be flexible u'll like it trust me!!!





good luck and i have a feeling u'll do the right thing by doing whats best for u ok.
I'm a senior citizen. I wouldn't go back and change my life.


I had the same situation when I was young.


I had an offer from a Pharmacy to pay for my first year in College and study as a pharmacist. I was to work in his Drug Store during Summer.





I discussed it with my boss. He discouraged me in every way possible and succeeded.





I was young and worked cheap for him.





If I had accepted, my life would have taken a different road. I don't look back, can't.


I became a buyer and owned my own business, without college, but today is a lot different, and will be in the future.





How can anyone discourage higher education?


Especially in today's high tech environment.





He should be encouraging you.





He is really looking after his own interest.
Do you plan on being a construction worker all of your life? Of course your boss is going to scoff at you getting an education. He knows you will eventually move on to better things. In that, he is being somewhat selfish as your degree will not benefit him. Finish your education. Use it or not, it is something you will regret if you do not finish.
get your education, its not about knowing what you are going to do with your life, its about learning your personal equation for how you get through life (solve lifes problems)





dont worry about burning any bridges, its healthy, it forces you to constantly move forward (not fall backwards)
FIRST YOU NEED TO THINK ABOUT THIS----do you really want to work in construction the rest of your life. I remember when I used to work for a construction worker (i liked the guy alot...very funny...and we were good friends....) but remember this....depending on what your degree is you may AFTER COLLEGE FIND YOURSELF WITH NO JOB.





first look inside yourself and try to figure out what you want to do. If your parents are supporting you and you don't need to work pursue college and give up your job....or keep your job only if your parents don't support you
My husband is a boss in your situation. He has a salesperson who is fantastic at it. She has the potential to earn upwards of $80,000/year at his business, if she works full time as a salesperson. She is going to school so she only works part time.





The construction business is highly lucrative. We seem to glorify education because statistics show that overall, college graduates make much more than non college graduates over their lfetimes.





This is a decision you have to make. Do you want more money, or to work at a job you love? College can be a path to that, and so can your current position. Perhaps this boss sees such potential in you as to make both of you a lot of money. The final decision has to be what you want to do with your life.





Good luck.
Only you can really determine which is more important to you. I understand your feeling about wanting to maintain a good relationship with your current boss, but the question to ask yourself is ';which one do I feel is going to provide me what I really want out of life in the long run?'; Skills you learn on one job are always going to be helpful for other jobs in the future, that's just called experience, and it happens every day, to everyone, so don't worry yourself about that. What is your BA going to be in, and what do you plan on doing with it when you are done? Getting a degree is nice because it opens some doors, but if you don't have a gameplan for using it, then you will be disappointed, and also have lost the relationship with the boss. If you are going to school to be an engineer, working construction jobs is really good experience, but not so much otherwise.
Education comes first. Besides loyalty to employees is long past in today business world so loyalty to employer is past.
I'm sorry but I don't think he is being a good friend or mentor if he tells you should not care about getting more of an education even if you don't know what you are going to do its still good to have you may not stay in construction for the rest of you're life or if you do you may want to advance ,what if you get hurt and cant do construction any more? keep up with the schooling and tell you're boss you appreciate every thing he has taught you but this is something you want to do
First and foremost, don't give up attending college and whatever anyone thinks, make sure you get your degree. For the exact reason that you are not sure what you want to do, leave all your options open.


Your employer is thinking about his own interest, not yours. Your parents are thinking of your best interest, not theirs. Now answer who you should be loyal to. There are no guarantees in life and although your boss has taught you many things that will help you in life (both professional and personal), he cannot guarantee your continued employment and success. Continue school, continue working and doing your best for this employer if he is able and willing to work with you about school. If you are an asset to him and his company, he will work with you and encourage you to do well. Take care of number one: you.

No comments:

Post a Comment