Saturday, August 21, 2010

Careers Advice - Art (personal answers only please)?

Hi all,





I'm 20 years young and still struggling to decide what i want to do with my life. I want to do something creative as i have a good imagination and some good art skills, however the only career paths i can think of are:





art teacher (infants) - I'm not very good with kids, I don't mind them don't get me wrong but I don't think i could manage acting silly to keep the kids happy in front of 100+ single mothers! plus the school plays etc. (yes i have minor confidence issues)





GCSE art teacher - Didn't do art GCSE (purely because i can draw an awesome picture but when it comes to painting it, in my case it just comes to killing it! Plus i don't think I could handle the naughty kids you get at GCSE level.





Adult art teacher - how many adults are going to want someone younger than them teaching them art?





Artist - i don't wear a beret, a cloak or any other obscure garments, neither do i cut off my ears at random. ok what I'm trying to say is due to my slight lack of confidence I'm not very good at expressing myself which is what being an artist is all about. not to mention artist is a very hit or miss career - most likely miss





Tattoo artist - My favourite so far, I'm that kind of person, I'm into peircings and other body art however I'm not sure if I'm good enough at art to do that sort of thing. I've seen some absolutely stunning pieces of work that i could only dream of being able to canvas.





I'm not bad with computers either so i wouldn't mind something like graphic design for video games or something, I mean I don't mind too much about the wages just as long as i enjoy my working life because i did a hellish 2 year carpentry apprenticeship which i hated. So when i got my NVQ level 2 carpentry papers I decided to use that if things get desperate, but I'm still young so i figured i could retrain as something i enjoy.





I've met with too many career advisors and got nowhere so please don't just post an answer with a hyperlink to a careers advice site. it won't help, I'm looking for answers from people not robots who have been in the same situation or just someone with a good idea.





So yeah let me know what you think, any advice will be greatly appreciated,





thanks.Careers Advice - Art (personal answers only please)?
I think graphic design would be your best bet. You could design websites, flyers, video games, etc etc and you woudln't have to worry as much about your confidence level. I think being a tattoo artist would be a great job, BUT... if you are not confident with your work, or what you think you could do, stay away from permanently marking people :)

No comments:

Post a Comment