Saturday, August 21, 2010

I need some advice and personal experience!!?

My daughter is 17 months and still taking a bottle and pacifier. She loses her pacifiers every single day! She's down to just one and we're constantly on a hunt for it. I'm wanting to get her off of them, but I don't want to pressure it so much and just devastate her and have many sleepless nights. (I know, I'm asking for a miracle) The bottles are the only way she'll drink milk, and she insists on having one when she goes to sleep (nap time and bedtime) I was wanting to get her totally off by time she's 18 months.





Help and advice on how you did it with your little one will really help me. Thanks!





Also, what age did you move your little one from a crib to bed? I share a room with her (I live with my parents) and my sister's wanting to use my crib since her daughter is outgrowing her cradle, but I just don't trust my daughter. I'm afraid of what on earth she could get into without me hearing her. Any advice on that too?I need some advice and personal experience!!?
Okay....


When my son was about 14 months old I ran out of bottle liners and instead of going to buy more I packed up all of his bottles. It was time to quit, cold turkey. The first day was a little rough (he also liked bottles only at bed time - he still will ONLY drink milk at bed time). I traded for a sippy cup with milk. After the first day he was fine. He now drinks his milk from a sippy cup before bed (then brushes his teeth) and gets a cup full of water at bed time. He never used a pacifier so unfortunately I'm no help there.


One week before my son turned 18 months he jumped out of his crib (into my arms but I still didn't trust him in there by himself any longer). The next day the crib was disassembled and the new bed set up. I took EVERYTHING out of his room child proofed and put the furniture back in (6 HOURS TOTAL!!). That night was HARD!!! He cried and cried at the bedroom door (it was gated with a baby gate). 30 min later I opened the door to find him sleeping comfortably IN BED!!! The next day at nap time I opened the door to find him sleeping on the floor but only that once (mind you it has only been a month).


My only advice to you is do not try to make both transitions at once or too close together. Do the first and when she is comfortable then move on to the next.


It's tough as nobody wakes up and says ';humm... I would like today to be especially difficult so today's the day we're done with bottles (or into a new bed, etc).'; Deep breath, it is hard (on both of you!) but only for the first little while.I need some advice and personal experience!!?
both my kids were incredibly easy getting off the bottle, just stopped giving it to them and they were fine with it. try getting some cool looking sippy cups that catch her interest.





I moved my kids from the crib as soon as they showed signs of being able to crawl out of them. try getting a toddler bed instead of a big bed first, takes up less space and if they usually come with sides so they wont fall out of bed so easily
Sorry, but cry it out. Get you and your parents ear plugs and just cry it out. With the bed, how i did it was i got the bed and put the bar thingy on it so she wouldnt fall out. Again, if she doesn't like the idea, get out the ear plugs and cry it out.
I have a little girl who is now 3 and a half. I started phasing out the bottle when she turned 1. I would only give her one at night and during the day she got sippy cups. I also only gave her water in her night time bottle after she started getting teeth. When she started chewing up the bottle nipples, I switched her to the sippy at night too. She didn't really seem to mind it since she was used to the sippy during the day anyway. If she won't drink milk without a bottle, just try offering her only milk in the sippy. Eventually, she'll get thirsty and drink it.


I put my little girl in a toddler bed at about 18-24 months. I just had to keep putting her back in bed until she realized that she wasn't going to be allowed to get out and she was going to have to sleep there. It took only a few nights, but you have to be firm.


More than anything, we have to remember that we are the parents and that we make the rules. Don't give that power to your child or you will have a very hard time getting it back. My daughter used to whine and throw fits over everything. After being firm with her and showing her that she has consequences for her actions, she has completely turned around. It was only really hard for a few weeks. But, your child will love and respect you more if they have clear boundaries. I hope this helps you with all of your issues!

No comments:

Post a Comment