Saturday, July 31, 2010

Anyone know anything about bipolar from personal experience - advice needed!?

does anyone out there live with a partner with rapid cycling bi polar? Would you say it is normal for these people to need A LOT of emotional support and that the slighest thing you may say (if they are in a fragile mood) can send them crashing down?


Why is it that these people need soooo much support and seem so much more needy that most other people?


does anyone who has a bipolar partner have any tips to keep them on an up?


My partner has just admitted to me that he has a problem after 4 years of being together (I always guessed it though) but am so glad that he has now admitted to this out loud, he does not want to get help though as he believes that with the right level of emotional support he can beat it himself but that he simply cannot help the way he feels at times. Is this possible to help yourself through this problem? I admit though it's a huge acheivement just admitting it.


and is it possible to be born with this problem?Anyone know anything about bipolar from personal experience - advice needed!?
I have rapid cycling bipolar and I have to say in my case, part of it is my partner's fault. When the depression is so severe and I am brooding over blowing my brains out, I suck it up and force myself to make some supper for us both, and can't clean up afterwards. at least I did something, and it was a nice from scratch supper. Then he hassles me that I didn't clean up, even though he KNOWS I am suicidally depressed and I struggled to make supper. This just happened even though I just got out of the crisis bed (a hospitalization alternative) 2 days ago, and he got all PO'd at me that very night and has been sulking at me ever since since I called him on it and he is making me worse than I was when I went into the crisis bed to begin with. I should have stayed longer. Anyhow, pay attention to whether you are entirely innocent in this situation - perhaps the stress of caregiving is making you be sharper with him during his low times, giving the double whammy to him - he is far more sensitive, and you are more critical at the same time.





To avoid caregiver burnout, it would be good if he had other people to rely on.





How does he know he has bipolar if he doesn't go to the doctor? Meds and ECT give the most relief, and a person gets therapy along with that to learn to manage the illness better. The illness will usually get worse as a person ages if they dont' take meds. I dont' take meds because I couldn't find any that help, but apparently most people do get some relief.





Bipolar is about 60% genetic, 40% environmental, so it is considered to be a highly heritable disorder. To clarify, if one identical twin got bipolar, there is a 60% chance the other would get it, too. But there is a 40% chance he/she wouldn't get the environmental whammy needed to bring it out, and wouldn't get it. The whammy can be anything though, many never figure out what it was.Anyone know anything about bipolar from personal experience - advice needed!?
Rapid cycling BPD is the worst. I had a partner with it and I wish I'd run away sooner. He almost drove me to suicide. I felt as if I were carrying all his problems on my shoulders, and I had too many of my own to carry. These people deserve compassion, but you need to look out for yourself first.
Bipolar disorder is either genetic or cause by traumatic events. And your life partner is wrong, he needs to be put on meds or he will get worse. And yes emotional support is vital. Don't make him feel like he is all alone or he might start hurting himself. Good luck.
Bipolar disorder is difficult to live with.


People with this ailment do need the emotional support of friends and family, but also need professional help.


He can't do it by himself.


He can't do it simply with your support.





My son was diagnosed with rapid cycling bipolar at age 16; he's 24 now. My father was bipolar, and my son's father - well, if you could've found a shrink who could see past that man's ability to tell you what you want to hear, I think he would've been diagnosed as a sociopath. So, as my son puts it, there was insufficient chlorine in the gene pool :) and he ended up bipolar with elements of borderline personality disorder.


He's been on various meds over the years. He's had only one brief (3-day) inpatient hospitalization, and that was due to the effects of a medication study he participated in. Unfortunately, he's one of the small percentage of people who cannot take the newest class of drugs developed for bipolar (they make him suicidal!). And one of the studies he participated in used a medication which has permanently damaged him physically (tardive dyskenesia). So at the ripe old age of 24, he and his doctors are working on the paperwork for disability.


Nevertheless, he's found himself a network of friends with similar issues, via the internet. On more than one occasion, he's told me that he's doing a lot better than many of them because he has me supporting him and caring for him. Evidently, his friends' families are dismissive or ignorant regarding the problems.





So, yes, he needs you for emotional support - but he also needs professional help as well. This is not something the two of you can handle on your own.
It can run in families. A previous answer follows: Take the quiz, at http://www.blackdoginstitute.org.au/publ鈥?/a> if unsure, and if the results are positive, ensure you get an expert diagnosis from a mental health professional, not doctors, who are much better dealing with physical ailments, and don't diagnose complex disorders like bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, and borderline personality disorder often enough to develop any real expertise. Bipolar disorder usually involves major mood swings, which occur without apparent cause, and often over many months, or a matter of years, rather than days, as with most people (unless rapid cycling). If you decide to use allopathy, (modern Western medicine) I recommend trying Lithium Carbonate, or Lithium Citrate (regular tests are necessary, for these) before trying the other mood stabilisers, but if you aren't good at taking medications regularly, drinking adequate water, and keeping up your salt intake, something else, such as Lamictal may suit you better. Check out ';lithium'; at http://www.drugs.com %26amp; http://crazymeds.us/ and always research medications first, (read, and keep the labels/information sheets) so you will be aware of the risks, and on the lookout for side effects. If I wasn't bipolar type 1, and wasn't troubled by hallucinations, or serious delusional states, I know I'd first try the orthomolecular, and Omega 3 fish oil supplements, vitamins, minerals; herbal remedies, and a mostly raw food diet, for around 6 months, to see if they were sufficient. Even if not, they can be maintained, as complementary treatments, which may enable a reduction in the medication(s) ultimately required, with their risks, and side effects. Check out http://www.nutritional-healing.com.au/co鈥?/a>





Note: St. John's wort has been known to trigger mania, or hypomania, as have antidepressants, and the two should never be combined, due to the risk of serotonin syndrome. I'd aso eat in accordance with my ';nutritional type';. Enter that term in the searchbar at http://www.mercola.com (book), or a 20 question quiz is via http://www.naturalhealthcoach.com/tools If not considerably improved, after several months, consult your primary mental health care provider; you may be one of those who need medications to prevent this progressive illness from getting even worse. If bipolar type 1, an antipsychotic medication may also be needed. Everyone should take the Omega 3 supplements, or preferably ';krill oil'; for its other health benefits: use the searchbar at Mercola.com . Some people refuse medication, using supplements, and a selective, mostly raw food diet (I do not recommended trying this, if bipolar 1, unless you aren't troubled by hallucinations, or delusional states). Don't use medications and supplements together, without medical advice, except for Omega 3, which is safe. Maintaining the treatments for the depressive phase (if not using, or using minimal mood stabilisers) may well reduce the impact of the depressive phase, when it recurs. Depression: see http://your-mental-health.weebly.com/1.h鈥?/a> and pages b, and c (see the BIPOLAR SUPPORTER website).
bi-polar disorder can be hereditary it can also be brought on by a stressful event/ events in ones past. A person with bi-polar isn't necessarily needy its just they tend to need reassurance and emotional support in order to get through an episode. to be honest,love support and understanding are all you can give when a person is on a high or a low.It may seem that you are not making much of a difference during these times but the fact that you are there and caring for this person goes a long way to helping him come through the bad times. It takes a strong person to put up with all the problems and range of emotions that a bi-polar sufferer can go through in such a short space of time, especially if they rapid cycle but they are human beings at the end of the day and with the right medication they can lead fulfilling,normal lives. I know because i am Bi-polar and have been since my teenage years,people treat me like i am a nutcase because of my mood changes and because of the stupid things i have done during my manic phases but no one really understands, i have been married for twenty years and my husband totally ignores me when i am ill, my children have grown up with me like this and even they tend to ignore me when i am ill because it is easier for them. I feel a burden most of the time because i get no support from those close to me. What i have made are friends through different classes and groups that i have attended, people like me who understand what i am going through. There are groups out there for people with the illness and for people like yourself who care for loved ones with the disorder, there you can meet other carers and discuss your problems and fears with people who are going through the same thing. It can provide you with a better understanding of the illness and what your partner is actually going through. with your support he will manage the condition but he should be aware that taking medication to help ease the problem is not embarrassing or a cop out, if things get so bad do not be afraid to ask for Professional help, for his sake and yours.I am a member of The Manic Depression Fellowship of wales, if you look on the internet i am sure you will find a support group near you.Good luck both

No comments:

Post a Comment