Saturday, July 31, 2010

I'm a personal trainer and thinking of starting a program for children.. Any opinions/advice?

I'm a personal trainer, I also have a passion for kids, I'm going to school to be an elementary teacher. I'm really considering starting a program for the summer where I would instruct children on exercise. We would get together once or twice a week and just do different activities...some things I thought the kids would enjoy would be


Swimming, Races, Sports, Games that keep them moving, etc





My questionS for all of you is do you think this is something people would be interested in??





I would have to charge each participant a fee to cover the costs of the places we may have to rent/reserve (swimming pool) and I would like to buy prizes/rewards and healthy snacks. What would be a reasonable cost??





Other than the activities I listed can you think of anything else?





I was thinking of holding our meetings at a park, do you have any other suggestions?





And last, If I decide to do this where would be the best places to advertise?


Thanks in advance, please be completely honestI'm a personal trainer and thinking of starting a program for children.. Any opinions/advice?
First let me say this ... Kudos to you for the idea!!!





As a parent, and a youth Cheerleading Coach, I feel that it is a wonderful idea! You may ask other trainers that you know, (or friends %26amp; fellow students, even parents who like your idea), if they would be interested in helping you. I am coaching 14 girls between grades 5 - 8, and they can be a little trying at times. I do have an assistant coach but ... she is not much help. You must have patience and understanding.


:-)





I remember being outside all the time as a child, (and teenager), and some kids today REALLY need some direction away from the television, games and internet. So your idea is great! And I do think that parents would be interested in your program.





If you are thinking of holding your ';meetings'; at the park, why not pitch the idea to your park district. They may even help you to fund the program. And there are other organizations that you can go to and ask for donations to help support the program. Your local American Legion Post is one good place to go. (I am a member of the Women's Auxillary @ the American Legion in my area.) One of the things that they are there for is community support. Your idea is something that they may be willing to help you with. (In most Posts there are 3 units, regular Vet's units, Sons of the American Legion [S.A.L.], and the Women's Auxillary). If you do get this program underway, find out when all 3 meetings are held and go to all 3 and ask them to support your cause.





I charge $30 per girl for cheerleading as we are not affiliated with the school. We are affiliated with the Youth Football program. The school does not fund either program in anyway.We hold several fundraisers throughout the season. You wouldn't have that option. That is why I made the suggestions above. But you will have to charge some type of fee ... and that would depend on how many participants you have. You are performing a service therefore there has to be a fee even if you are donating your time, such as I do. And in a way, you are kind of being a part-time ';babysitter'; for some parents. That is just reality.





I would suggest meeting 3 times a week and also giving some nutrition tips to the kids, in the form of ';newsletters'; to parents. This is something that you will have to plan in advance and give a calendar of events to the parents. You could attach the nutrition tips to that.





The events that you are thinking of sound great also. Maybe a water balloon fight or something of that nature to be included. I still like a good water balloon fight and I am 37! Something that appeals to the kids. Dancing is great exercise also. Kids love music and dancing no matter what age they are! You could let them bring some music that they like and play DJ while they dance, and you should dance with them! I use this as a type of warm-up before beginning practice and the girls love it.





You will also need to have emergency contact information, a form giving you permission to seek medical treatment for the kids should the need arise. You also need to make sure on the form that is signed by the parents that you are not responsible for thier medical costs or liable for thier injuries. You will need to know allergies and/or other medical conditions they may have and if they are on any medications. I am sure that you are certified in CPR and the parents need to know that too. And make sure they know all of the information they provide is confidential. (I am also sure that you know the rules %26amp; laws on that.)





I would advertise at local schools, gyms, just about any and everywhere. We all have to buy groceries! LOL! Even an add in your local newspaper. Maybe a Health Food store also.





I have some forms that you could use if you are intrested. You could change them to suit your needs.





I hope I have been of some help to you and not rambled on too long! Once again, I love your idea!





Best wishes to you!!!!!!


Elvn





ps - If you would like for to get the forms to you - post a comment and we will work out a way to do it w/out plastering our emails out here.I'm a personal trainer and thinking of starting a program for children.. Any opinions/advice?
You a very welcome! Like I said, if I can be of anymore help feel free to email me.





Good luck!

Report Abuse



Dancing kids love music and movement you dont have to be great try tap dancing irish or scottish hip hop etc yoga/ anything except cross country (you can smoke to many cigs on the way round!)
That's really nice.I think that you should pass out flyers with a time,and date and all the information you have given us,and have them write their own interests,and make sure they bring their parents to meet you so if they are intrested they can totally get a fit schedule.The first meeting should be free.Just to discuss everything to them and the parents.The first few time you could do fun,and free activities like going to the park play soccer,tag,or whatever.You can Make them dance to some kids hip pop.They love that:).Or simple things like that that are free,but fun.Then you can try to do a fund raiser or something so that they can go out selling like homemade cookies or something %26lt;%26lt;that also will help with walking,and stuff,and like you said its only for 1-2 times a week you dont really need alot of money,so whatever they raise can go to something more fun like renting a FUN pool,or whatever you have to pay for.

No comments:

Post a Comment